Monday, June 16, 2014

The Girl Who Cried Labor: Strike 2

36 WEEKS WITH TWINS!
This past Thursday was an important day for me and this pregnancy. I hit my gestational goal of 36 weeks on Thursday June 12- WOOHOO! In the days after we found out we were expecting twins, there were several twin pregnancy "warnings" that began to surface, mainly the risk of twins being born early and the increased possibility of bedrest. So as I got used to the idea of carrying twins, I decided I was going to set a goal of 36 weeks for these babies. I decided to do everything in my power to keep them cookin' for 36 weeks and we have made it to the goal!

The other piece of the puzzle was avoiding bed rest at all cost. Daniel was convinced that if I upped my activity level early on then I could trick my body into thinking being super active is the norm. And I think it worked! I have chased after Isaiah and walked as much as possible plus God has been gracious and I have had zero reason to be put on bed rest- praise the Lord!! My blood pressure is normal, the babies heart rates are perfect, we are doing GREAT!

BUT the one thing I wasn't warned about was being on high alert for signs of labor once I got close to the end. Most of the resources I read said that twins come early. So since December I've had it in my mind that ours would too. Making it to 36 weeks seemed like an eternity anyway, surely they'd come not long after that. And now, at least once a day, I think either my water broke or I'm having contractions (more productive than Braxton Hicks contractions anyway.)

Once a day. Every. Single. Day since I hit my 36 weeks mark.

A few nights ago I got up at 3 am to use the bathroom and was CERTAIN my water broke. I joyfully climbed back into bed thinking "I'll get sleep now so that when the painful contraction start up I'll have a little more energy stored." Next thing I know, it's 8am and I awake with no pain, no contractions, no signs of labor whatsoever. Sigh.

This past Sunday morning I was at church and I just picked up Isaiah from his Sunday School class. As I was walking up the stairs to the sanctuary I felt little drops of water hitting the backs of my legs. I thought "Finally! This is it!" I quickly handed Isaiah to Daniel and ran to the bathroom to take care of things. Except there was nothing to take care of. I had no clue where the water had come from. Until I got back to Daniel & Isaiah and saw that the lid to Isaiah's water bottle wasn't screwed on tightly and was sprinkling water droplets with every step. Ugh. Double sigh.

Or the WORST is when I have a dream that I am already in labor only to wake up and discover IT WAS JUST A DREAM! GGGAAAHHH!!

Every internal twinge, every trip to the bathroom, every movement or kick from the twins and I think I'm on the verge of labor. It's ANNOYING! And the worst part is, I KNOW what it feels like to go into labor. When I was pregnant with Isaiah, it was very obvious when my water broke- there was no guessing game about it.

I am more than just the girl who cried labor. I'm the obsessive, can-think-of-little-else, nearly-gone-crazy girl who cried labor.

The thrill of my 36 week victory was short-lived considering now I'd do just about anything to get labor started. Send me your wives tales, your theories, and your advice friends as I am one HUGELY pregnant, overly-tired mama who is ready to meet these babes on the OUTSIDE!

And I'll be 37 weeks on Thursday June 19.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, mama! The most annoying thing was people telling me that it was best for them to be inside as long as possible. I didnt know how it could possibly be best when I was in such pain and was SO DONE being pregnant. However, when my babies were born at a very healthy 38 weeks, thr pediatricians and nurses still commented that even though they were healthy, they were still early. I believe nursing would have been easier if they could have had another week. If you have babies today, they will be healthy and happy. So its hard to want that extra week. Im praying for you! And I'm SO EXCITED to see the twins soon!! Good job mama! You kept them cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So my advice for you my friend is stop freaking out. Enjoy the time you have left as a threesome. God knows the exact time.Trust HIS perfect timing. Everything is ready, set... so breathe and enjoy. Just close your eyes and think of all the love surrounding them, you and your whole family! <3 Love you Katie!

    ReplyDelete