Saturday, June 29, 2013

Birthday Eve



Tomorrow is my birthday. My 30th birthday. And I'm not that bothered by it. I've always wondered why people fret over their birthdays, or why people won't share their age. You can't keep yourself from aging. You certainly can't avoid the day altogether! Why avoid a day solely dedicated to celebrating a life?













My parents always did an AWESOME job celebrating my birthdays. I remember my 6th birthday, the year I got a bike. My mom made my birthday outfit. And I mean it when I said I ROCKED the early 90's fashion trends. We also did the hot/cold scavenger hunt (you know the drill... the gift giver says "you're getting warmer" when you near the hidden gift.) But the gift was a bike so when my dad wheeled it into the kitchen and my mom screamed "You're hot! You're really hot!" I jumped up and down and squealed. And of course I immediately took my new ride for a spin. Notice the curly ribbons on the handlebars? Oh yeah, baby.

When I turned 10  I got tickets to my very first concert- Paula Abdul. (I already told you I was a child of the 90's, don't judge.) It was an awesome concert too. My mom crimped my hair. We went out to Chi Chi's for dinner beforehand. We had lawn seats down at River Bend. I even got to take my best friend Katie Jostworth. Such a great night!

When I turned 18, we threw a formal dinner + dance for my friends. My parents made this really delicious dinner and we ate on my mom's good china. We strung white Christmas lights in the backyard and borrowed a portable dance floor from our church. My dad even put on a firework display at the end of the night. It was one of the best nights of my life.

29 birthday cards

Daniel's planning something great! 
This year, Daniel is planning something wonderful, I just know it. He's actually been celebrating my birthday all month. You see, tomorrow is my golden birthday. That's right, I'm turning 30 on the 30th. To commemorate Daniel's been giving me a card and/or a card + a small gift every single day this month. He's done an AWESOME job. He has only forgotten twice, which is impressive for a man who says gift giving and receiving is so low on his love language list that it doesn't even register.

So, I've decided my thirties are going to be the best decade yet. Bring on the stability, the maturity, the thrive-ability of a woman loving life and learning to center on Jesus. Hallelujah! Where's the birthday cake?!

No comments:

Post a Comment